Sunday, October 11, 2009

Seon Yoo and a Korean Wedding


On Saturday, I took Eric to Seonyoodo, the island park I visited with some teachers from my school. I thought it would be nice to see it in daylight.

The island has a very pretty park with lower and upper levels.

Eric liked the playground a lot. I think he might have scared the Korean kids though.

We ate lunch in the cafe there that looks out over the Han River.

The principal of my school invited me to his daughter's wedding so Eric and I attended it together with some of the other teachers from my school.
Unlike in the west, Korean weddings are built for speed. The wedding ceremony lasts about 20 minutes and happens in the banquet hall so guests can start eating immediately after. Also, instead of buying something from a couple's registry with a Hallmark card, the standard wedding present is an envelope full of money with your name on it. I enjoy the efficiency. Or, maybe this just shows how much I hate finding cards.

Here is Kyeong and the head English teacher of our school, Ms. Kim (Kyeong is also a Ms. Kim; it's a common name here).

Eric was very excited about wearing his suit. Everyone said he looked very handsome. Two of my male co-workers were joking I should watch out since all three of Eric's co-teachers are women in their 20s. Hah.

2 comments: