Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Conversation Class & Relationship Advice

I teach a conversation class once a week for the other English teachers at my school. This week's class was on giving advice and suggestions. So, I found some hypothetical situations on the web and we all discussed advice we could give.

In one situation, Barbara and her boyfriend both work long hours and have difficulty finding time to see each other. Yeong Deuk said that everyone emails now and it is too easy and impersonal. He suggested that the couple write each other love letters to keep in touch. Everyone else agreed this was very romantic.

Kyeong followed this by offering her own advice. "Have you ever heard the saying 'out of sight, out of mind'?" Hah.

I was amused at the gender stereotype reversal. Although, it's hard to say exactly what the gender stereotypes are in Korea. Traditionally, women are supposed to be submissive. But, it's also traditional for Korean women to handle all of the family's finances. And, this is the land of men riding around together on pink mopeds. I never sure what what to expect.

Afterward, Kyeong asked me if Eric and I ever wrote love letters to each other.

"Uh, no," I said, trying to picture what kind of love letter I'd receive if Eric ever did send me one. This is a guy who has never bought me flowers but has, 'out of love,' shot me with his airsoft gun multiple times. We aren't really 'Hallmark your love' type people.

I pondered all this for a minute, then told Kyeong I agreed more with her advice. There are fewer chances for a stray BB to hit you in the teeth.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Brooke, a little romance is good- like making plans for a weekend get-a-way. (Hey, but I guess you've already "gotten away"!) Dad and I always kiss when he or I leave, then we're not so "out of site, out of mind" for long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lol'd. and maybe i'll write you a love letter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mom, I have no idea what to say to that.

    ReplyDelete