Monday, April 19, 2010

Ballet Classes in Seoul

As I mentioned previously, I've started taking ballet classes here in Seoul. So far, it has been a great experience. I'm in the 기초반 (beginners) class twice a week.

It's a strange development for me. I always hated dance when I was younger. It was so embarrassing and I was so awkward. Perhaps getting older has given me more poise. More likely, living in Korea this long has forced me to get comfortable with getting stared at and feeling awkward. I've become much harder to embarrass.

Most of these places do require you to buy dance attire but it's available for pretty cheap. Jongno 3-ga station exit 15 has tons of dance stores. A leotard, shoes, tights and a skirt or shorts will probably cost around 45,000 won.

Although ballet is becoming very popular with Koreans, it's still pretty difficult to find information in English about classes. For anyone who lives near Hongdae, here's what I know if you want to jump on the boat too.


Genie Ballet Academy
www.genieballet.com
This is where I go. I'm told they follow the Vaganova style. Classes are 120,000 won for twice a week classes and 150,00 won for three times a week classes.
Schedule of Classes for Genie Ballet

Directions to Genie Ballet: Go to Hongik University station exit 2. Turn left at the gas station and walk to the end of the street. Genie Ballet is in the building next to the bakery on the 4th floor.


Na Seonyeong Ballet Academy
http://www.balletstudio.net/

From their website, their schedule is as follows:
MWF 7:30 - 8:30 am
        10:30 - 12:00 pm
        6:00 - 7:30 pm
        7:30 - 9:00 pm
TTh   6:00 - 7:30 pm
        8:00 - 9:30 pm
Sat   1:30 - 3:00 pm
Sun  11:30 - 1:00 pm

Directions to Na Seonyeong Ballet Academy: Go to Hongik University station exit 2. Go straight past the gas station and walk for about 100 meters. It is on the second floor.



Hongdae Dance Academy
This place offers two and three-times a week classes. There's also a drop-in class on Saturdays, though I've never been myself.

Directions to Hongdae Dance Academy: Go to Sangsu station exit 1.  Turn around out of the exit and walk toward the park. Hongdae Dance Academy will be about two blocks down on the second floor.

4 comments:

  1. tnx for ur information
    i was looking for a ballet class
    kkkk hope it'll be nice experience heheh
    can't wait it
    tnx again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! can you give me information on how to contact the place you go to for ballet? Im studying here in seoul for the semester and I really want to take a few classes! Thank you!
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You save my life, OMG. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You save my life, OMG. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete