Monday, April 5, 2010

Gmarket, You Are Evil But Glorious

I am a tall girl. When I told my students my height during a lesson, they actually pointed and shouted “really? 177??? REALLY??!!!” I love living here, but being the same height as many Korean men can sometimes be rough, mostly when it comes to shopping.

Point being, it is hard to find clothes and shoes sometimes. Here comes in Gmarket (www.gmarket.com). This site is basically the ebay of Korea - individuals buy and sell stuff online. It works perfectly with the Korean style of having a thousand small businesses that all sell basically the same thing. It further embodies everything Koreans seems to love by being incredibly cheap and massively overstimulating.

It can be a little challenging to navigate for foreigners, even with its “English” website, since most of the information provided by the seller is still in Korean. However, don’t let this deter you! They ship the the US too! OMFG!

With my small range of Korea skills, I've become fairly efficient at shopping. For anything larger than a medium in clothes or a size 8 in shoes, you search for "빅사이즈" - "Big Size" in Hangul. Or, you can just use the helpful tabs at the top of the screen (to anyone reading this who actually knows Korean, please don't laugh too much at my pathetic-ness).

Look! I bought this cool blazer!

And these shoes (only $20)!


And a wig!!

And so, so much other crap I don't need.

I'll leave you with this photo.
Don't I look Korean? ^_^

2 comments:

  1. OMG, is that really you???? Too funny, Brooke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember everyone thought you were gonna be super pissed cause I brought a Korean girl for halloween, then they realized it was you.

    ReplyDelete