Thursday, May 20, 2010

Don't Use Your Cell Phone, Don't be a Slut


The 3rd graders (8th graders in America) at my school have done an art project and now all their posters are hanging up around the school. It's pretty cute, though I feel a little bad that, of all the things the art teacher could have given them to make paintings of, she chose school rules.

However, this was very educational for me! Until this point, I wasn't really sure what the school rules were. Now, I can give you well-informed guesses!
 
Don't look like some foreign ho?
Actually, it says "we are students." I assume this means, given that we are students, don't dye or perm your hair, wear contacts or make-up. Because we are here to learn, so you don't need to look good doing it?


Don't be a bitch?
But, seriously, don't be.


Don't watch people dying on your computer?
The text in the center picture means "today, how many people?" I get the sense that some students did not follow the exact guidelines of the assignment. Good on them.


Don't be fat?
No, I'm just playin'. It actually says "wear your name tag!"


Have self esteem?
Actually, I think this is pretty much what is says. The best translation I could do was "Do you like what you see? Your appearance." I'm not sure how this is a school rule, though...


????????
The text translates to "Would the pretty princess still have been admitted?" I feel I am losing something in translation. Or, this student has made an interesting social commentary about beauty and the false equality of the Korean school system.

But, the point is, my students are adorable. Except Tuesday 5th period. I will break your recorders ON you next time you play in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment