Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weekend in Samcheok

I went to Samcheok on the eastern coast of Korea over the weekend with some friends. It was very green and beautiful with all the spring rain.

Mark never smiles.

Samcheok (read about it here) is known for two things - beautiful caves and penis park. For some reason, I find this very appropriate. Titter titter.

Deryk, Graham and I (right to left) hiking!

The caves were very big. And very dark. So much so that I didn't really get many decent photos. Though, I did snap this one:

The Bridge of Confessions

We walked over the Bridge of Confessions after first crossing the Bridge of Love and trekking past a heart-shaped rock formation in the Valley of Hell. Will I sound jaded if I say it seems like the people who named these things were trying to offer some sort of commentary on relationships?

After a day of hiking and caving, we went out for dinner and drinks. There was much drinking of soju. I also learned that the novel I'm currently reading, about the Spanish Revolution, is not going to end well. I probably should have been tipped off by the inscription in the beginning - Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee (500 won to you if you can guess the book title).


We found an "American Bar" which means it has a kitsch jumble of Americana and still serves soju. All riiight. Just don't talk to any drunk Irishmen. They may seem amicable, but they will insult you, lecture you about the newfound necessity of the appendix and then take your shot without even asking. You've been fairly warned.

5 comments:

  1. It was really easy, actually. Buses leave about every 40 minutes from Express Bus Terminal or a little less frequently from Gangbyeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worrisome, Brooke...And I was worried about the N. Koreans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brooke!
    Thanks so much for the shout out to TheYeogiyo!
    We heart your blog (and you too, based on the blog!)
    :)
    Happy new week!
    ~ TheYeogiyo peeps

    ReplyDelete