Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Haruki Murakami OMG You're So Awesome

I have a life crush on Haruki Murakami.


He's living the kind of life that I secretly aspire to - incredibly random and literary. He is acknowledged as one of the greatest living novelists of our time and he didn't even begin writing seriously until he was 29.

Admittedly, I enjoy learning these kinds of facts because it counters my feelings of premature failure, knowing that T.S. Eliot had already written The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by age 22. In my spiral of post-college (but pre-'career') doubt, it's heartening to hear that there isn't some set timeline or progression for being successful. 

And, besides that, Murakami is also a marathon runner and triathlete! Yeah, I pretty much want to be him.

1 comment:

  1. Inspiring to say the least. You look at so many successful artists, performers, writers, and scientists (just like you've mentioned), and they all got started really early in life. This is confirmation that it doesn't necessarily have to happen that way.

    ReplyDelete